monday morning start

Monday, June 29, 2026

To Get A Dog Or Not: That Is The Question

 I don't ever remember being without a dog in my life until Pepper passed away in October.  From the time I was a child, we always had a dog, sometimes two.  We even had a female beagle when I was young that we bred several times, she had several litters, and we often kept a puppy.  Dogs have added so much to my life, yet here I am, without a dog.  

Since Pepper died I have felt a freedom I have not had for many years.  When Ron was sick, I had a schedule that involved being home a lot.  In the last years of Pepper's life, he too, needed attention.  Now, I no longer have that responsibility, and it feels good.  The part I miss most about not having a dog is coming home in the afternoon and having no one greet me at the door.  I also miss morning kisses from my four legged friend.  Oh, and yes, I miss my afternoons at the dog park with friends from Ocean Hills.

On the other side of the argument is the freedom to not have to return after a period of hours to walk the dog.  If I'm out somewhere, and want to go for dinner, I can do so without hesitation.  I can plan trips without having to to find a dog sitter.  (that can be harder than you might think).

I have to admit I have searched online for rescue dogs more than once, but that's as far as I've gotten.  Every time I want to go look, another trip comes up, another bridge tournament that will take me away from home for several days come up, and if I do get a dog, I want to be here to bond with him, to train him, and spend lots of time with him for the first few months.

I know there is a dog in my future, but it might not be right away.  I am enjoying travel and long days without having to worry about coming home. They'll be another wonderful dog for me when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Remarkable Friendships Transform our Lives: Friends of the Good

This is a new book by Demond Martin, who rose from poverty in the south, with a drug addicted step father, to a Harvard Business School grad...