This is a new book by Demond Martin, who rose from poverty in the south, with a drug addicted step father, to a Harvard Business School graduate and CEO of a large corporation. The idea of a self made man really doesn't exist. Demond Martin had lots of help along the way, and friendships that transformed his life.
In the book, he reflects on the people that made his journey possible. Achievement is communal, someone is always offering you a ladder. Martin speaks about a teacher that told he could be anything, do anything. A church leader guided him for many years, sort of as a second father. Aristotle wrote that there are three types of companionship: convenience, pleasure and virtue. Personally, I have many groups of friends and they help me enjoy life in different ways. I've got intellectual friends, that challenge me and make me think. I've also got fun friends, that love to have fun, and they keep me from being too serious.
There is an epidemic of loneliness and disconnection, especially among young people. This is partly created by social media, but whatever the reason, it's not good. We all need to connect. We are social beings.
I have not read this book by Demond Martin, but the reviews sound good. He describes how he got from poverty to success, who helped him along the way, and why we need friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment